St Alphonsus R.C. Church, Calton, Glasgow, Scotland

Our Parish & Church

In care of the Xaverian Missionaries

St Alphonsus RC Church

St Alphonsus parish was established 1846 (the third oldest Parish in Glasgow) The present Church (built by Peter Pugin and opened in 1906) stands in the same place although the street name was changed.

The present building is the second, having been opened in 1905. It is the last of a number of Churches built around the turn of the century by Peter Paul Pugin, grandson of the famous Victorian architect A. W. Pugin, who designed the Houses of Parliament. St. Alphonsus is set in one of the oldest parts of Glasgow located in the very heart of the Barras Market,the oldest and best known market in Scotland, which opens on Saturdays and Sundays.

Click here for location map & Parish boundaries

High Altar & Reredos

High Altar & Reredos

The most imposing feature of the church is the High Altar and the decorative screen behind the altar, called 'Reredos'. It consists of a central canopy and throne upon which the crucifix rests. The two lesser canopies cover groups of kneeling angels.

Stained Glass

Stained GlassThe stained glass in the church represents a pleasing contrast between ancient and modern. The window above the High Altar represents St. Alphonsus. On the left the Ascension of Our Lord and on the right is the Assumption of Our Lady'.

 

 

Rose WindowAbove the main entrance to the church the Rose Window is a modern illustration of the Eight Beatitudes and was executed and installed in 1996 to mark the 150th Jubilee of the Parish by Lorraine Lamond, a local stained glass artist.

Statues

The statues behind the altar represent a wide collection of well known Saints- the apostles Peter and Paul: Andrew patron Saint of Scotland and Patrick and Brigid, patron Saints of Ireland; Columba of Iona, and Mungo, founder of Glasgow-two of the great builders of Christianity in Scotland; Margaret, Queen of and Patroness of Scotland who reformed the Scottish Church in the 11 century; Francis of Assisi, founder of the Franciscans and Clare of Assisi; who founded the Poor Clares; Louise de Murillac, founder of the Sisters of Charity; Theresa of Avila who reformed the Carmelite Order and is one of only two women declared a Doctor of the Church.

Parish Notices

October Pilgrimage

Conforti

The Canonization of the Conforti Xaverian founder took place on Sunday, 23rd October 2011. A pilgimage to Rome and Parma was organised and a photo diary can be found here.

More notices